Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dumpin' My Bucket

My devotional yesterday was titled "Become God's Friend." At some levels that sounds pretty easy...and yet at others very difficult. I read on. It said that I have to choose to be honest with Him. OK, I think I can do that easily enough. God's friends in the Bible were honest with Him about their feelings - sometimes even complaining & arguing with Him - yet He didn't seem to mind. In fact, He encouraged it. (WAIT, WHAT???)
God listened patiently to David's accusations of unfairness, betrayal and abandonment just as Job was allowed to vent his bitterness - God actually defended him for being honest, while rebuking his friends for faking it. (Job 42:7).

To be God's friend is to share my TRUE feelings with Him, not what I think I 'ought' to say in prayer. (a little convicting for me here)
While I think sometimes I complain too much to God for me, myself & I...and don't pray nearly enough for others...it's refreshing to know that God doesn't look on me like the 'whiny little child' that's in a first grade classroom (and NEVER absent).

I really liked what my devotional said: Revealing my feelings and releasing my resentments to Him are the first steps in becoming spiritually whole. (Wow)
After all, He already knows my thoughts, my heart, my mind & my intentions before I do. I can certainly humble myself before His throne and 'dump my bucket'...isn't He big enough to carry it?

I long for a deeper intimacy with my God ~ so I've started (in a prayer journal) to reveal my innermost feelings, hurts & resentments to my Abba. I'm sure He'll know what to do with them and can help me. I know He uses everything for good in my life.

AND WE KNOW THAT GOD CAUSES ALL THINGS TO WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THOSE WHO LOVE GOD, TO THOSE WHO ARE CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSES. (Romans 8:28)

keep the faith, sweet friend
~love, karen

2 comments:

  1. Pastors' wives experience unique struggles and challenges that few others can understand, or appreciate. The new book, "The Runaway Pastor's Wife", takes a look, with an inside perspective, at one such pastor's wife and her struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Carol! I will be looking at that one very soon!!! P.W. need all the encouragement & help from older women who have walked the difficult road we find ourselves on.
    I truly appreciate the comment & the suggestion!
    have a wonderful day,
    God be with you...
    much love,
    karen

    ReplyDelete