Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pajama Day!

Ok...so it seems every day for me lately is pajama day. What can I say? I quit my job the last day of November (2010) to stay home. It was a really good job - hospital administrative assistant. I made my own hours, could leave when I needed, my boss is a wonderful, Christian woman who believes family comes first. So why did I leave? Well, ask my sweet husband and he'd probably tell you I'd lost my mind. He'd say(a little off the cuff) that God told me to go home & bake cookies. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Actually, that's not too far off from the truth.

This last summer a couple friends and I started walking in the mornings together. We'd meet at my front yard (5:15am) and walk 3 miles through our town. (keep in mind we could cover just about all of our town, which is 10 blocks x 10 blocks..roughly). We (gals) would talk of our hopes, dreams, trials, troubles and most days try to end our time together with a short prayer. It was such an uplifting time.
One of these gals dreamed of a ministry for women in our community with dance. She is now running Zumba classes for believers & non-believers. We dance like crazy four nights a week to Latin (AND Christian) music. It's great!
Well, I talked about wanting to be a blessing to others - and I just didn't know how. I knew I was blessing some at work (Michael, hubby, was ALWAYS so encouraging to me about touching the lives of co-workers...and I think I made a little ripple in that pond.) But I was doing a little baking on the side & really liking it.
About the same time, my daughter - Brady started asking (almost daily) when was I going to stay home and just be her mom. (Talk about your heart melting...) I knew this was a cry (ok, maybe a whimper) for her to have me home. So I started praying fervently for God to show me a way to be home, be a blessing & there for my family.
It didn't happen overnight and there was no magical, fairy-god-mother that appeared to make all my dreams come true. But in my praying - I asked God to put it upon my husband's heart to start a dialogue of me quitting. He answered that prayer and communication began!

Long story short - I did quit and I have been baking ever since. (check out my 'other' blog - www.bradyshands.blogspot.com) I love to bake cookies, cupcakes...just about anything sweet. Can't cook worth a darn, so I'm not much help to my beautiful husband - who does cook MARVELOUSLY!!!! And it's not been a beautiful fairy tale that has a happy ending. No, its been work - hard work. There have been unhappy times because we're living with one paycheck (his) and its an area where satan can try to divide. BUT...I know God provides for ALL our needs - so to me it's just another way we can place our trust in Him.
I am loving the opportunity to be at home - make beds, do laundry, listen & sing to my Christian music...and bake. More importantly I'm loving the fact that I can be there to support my husband, tend to my daughter more and put my family first. I'm not perfect at anything - but I'm trying to be the best that I can & leaning on God's Love and wisdom to help (because He is).

PS. If you ever need something sweet, just let me know.
Now I think I'll go change into some clothes...

I DELIGHT MYSELF IN THE LORD AND HE GIVES ME THE DESIRES OF MY HEART. (Psalms 37:4)

keep the faith, sweet friend.
~ love, karen

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow stay-at-home Momma (who happens to throw "homeschooling" into the mix) I say, Good FOR YOU! It is a sacrifice to stay home, but so worth it.
    My husband is also in ministry and it's not easy living on one paycheck, but God is faithful!

    Virginia (I met you in Rexford at the conference)

    ReplyDelete